ENLACE Call for papers
SALALM LXIII, Colegio de México, Mexico City, July 1-4, 2018
INFORMATION IN ENGLISH:
Enlace assists Latin American and Caribbean librarians and other information professionals with funding to attend SALALM’s annual meetings. The goal is to foster professional contacts between U.S. and Latin American and Caribbean librarians and other professionals who work in library settings.
SALALM members are committed to improving access to bibliographic resources about and from Latin America as well as information on regional publishing trends.
The ongoing exchange of information and work-related experience is an essential attribute of librarianship. Creating and supporting the expansion of professional networks among librarians and book dealers contributes to a better understanding of the region, fosters professional development and improves services at our institutions.
Procedures & Criteria
SALALM is seeking participation from Latin American or Caribbean colleagues who can present papers on the conference theme (see attached document), preferably, or on another topic of interest to SALALM’s membership. All presentations will be made within organized panels.
Travel awards are available for selected Latin American participants based on the following criteria and procedures. It is customary for Enlace to pay 100% of travel costs, calculated by a 45 to 21-day advance purchase airfare and the per diem figure Enlace decides for the city hosting the conference. The recipient of the travel award will receive reimbursement at the conference.
- The applicant sends the following to Teresa Chapa (firstname.lastname@example.org);
- a one-half page summary of the paper to be presented;
- his/her curriculum vitae;
- an estimate of a 45-21-day advance purchase airfare to the conference.
- Applications will be reviewed by Enlace Committee members and the SALALM president.
- The chair of the committee will act as liaison between potential presenters and panel organizers to match up speakers with panels. Applicants should plan to arrive at the conference on the first day, the day of the committee meetings, so as to become better acquainted with SALALM and its members.
- Applications should be submitted by March 31, 2018. Those received after this date will be considered only if funds are still available.
- works in a Latin American or Caribbean library or information environment
- writes a publishable paper on a topic related to the conference theme or another theme of interest to the membership
- attends all meetings and panels during all the days of the conference
- makes a presentation within an organized panel or in another designated format
- presents the paper in one of the working languages of SALALM (Spanish, Portuguese, or English)
- speaks for the allotted amount of time, usually 15-30 minutes
- writes a short article about their conference experience for the SALALM Newsletter
Letters of invitation
In addition to awarding travel funds, the Enlace Committee will write personalized letters of invitation (upon request) to anyone interested in attending the annual conference. The purpose of this type of invitation is to support potential participants in their request for funds from their institutions. These invitations carry no monetary award nor are the conference registration fees waived.